Avenue "A"

1915 Lower Avenue A

Enlarged version of above picture is located at the Weirton Area Museum & Cultural Center.
This photo was originally a photo postcard purchased on ebay by Dennis Jones for the Weirton Area
History Game.  It shows the lower portion of Avenue "A" below 4th Street and looking up toward
Main St. and what would become County Road at very top.  The Greek Church was not built yet,
telling us that this picture was taken before 1918.  The little church on left is most likely the original
St. Peter and Paul Church used by the Catholics before they separated into the Sacred Heart of Mary
Church and St. Paul's Church.  This little church on Avenue A was then used by the Morning Star
Baptist Church after the Catholics moved.  Note the gas lamp (lower right side) and the board walks. 

1915 Lower Avenue A

This photo was originally a photo postcard showing Avenue A (at 2nd Avenue) looking down and
westward toward the Ohio River.  The church on the left was the All Saints Greek Orthodox Church.
Photo was probably taken in the 1920's. 

1915 Lower Avenue A

This photo is part of a celebration by the Italian Garibaldi lodge in 1934.  Photo was taken from
across the street (Avenue A) at the All Saints Greek Orthodox Church.  Notice the sign that indicates
4th Street.  Chios Grocery is on the corner of 4th Street and Avenue A.

1915 Lower Avenue A

This photo is a part of the celebration by the Garibaldi Lodge in 1934.  Photo was taken from across
the street (Avenue A) at the All Saints Greek Orthodox Church.  The Leader Market is shown on
the corner of Avenue A and 3rd Street.  Frank Kliers Garage is shown on the other side of 3rd Street

1915 Lower Avenue A

This photo is part of a celebration by the Garibaldi Lodge in 1934.  Photo was taken from across
the street (Avenue A) at the All Saints Greek Orthodox Church.  The hall where the celebration
was taking place was named Columbia Hall (sometimes called the Garibaldi Hall).   
 

  
 

.